A multi-disciplinary software system has been developed over the past 15 years to address engineering problems of performance capability, commercial viability, sustainable environmental and responsible aviation.
Over the years, FLIGHT-X it has been continuously verified, tested and applied to a variety of aviation projects. The core software has been documented in a large number of books, peer-review papers, international conferences, CPD courses, and other outlets.
An aerospace database has been developed in the process, including airplanes, aero-engines, APU, landing-gear systems, high-lift systems, helicopters, airfield models, flight data recorder data packs, ADS-B flight trajectories.
A. Aircraft noise analysis, forecasting and reduction, including:
- Noise component assessment
- Noise trajectories predictions and noise abatement
- Noise mapping at and around airfields with real-time effects
- Airfield noise measurements and reporting
- Military aircraft noise
- Flight trajectory optimisation for minimum noise and DOC
- Atmospheric effects (wind, temperature) and ground effects.
B. Environmental emissions calculations, including
- Both turbofan and turboprop aircraft
- All chemical species: CO2, NOx, SOx, UHC, H2O, particulate matter
- Landing and take-off cycle emissions (LTO)
- Stratospheric emissions
- Parametric analysis: trajectories, city pairs, flight altitude
- Contrail probability forecasting and avoidance
C. Flight in harsh environments, including
- Dust ingestion following dust storms or contaminated air
- Volcanic ash ingestion
- Effects on engine performance degradation due to dust, ash, FOD
D. Aero-mechanics capability, including
- Field performance
- Cruise performance and optimisation, altitude selection
- Redispatch, go-around performance
- Descent optimisation: steep descent, continous descent
E. Operational analysis, including
- Mission fuel and range planning
- Fuel tankering & parametric effects: cost differentials, weight
- Direct Operating Costs (DOC)
- Cost Index evaluation
- Competitor aircraft/engine analysis
F. System Integration
- Ability to parse FDR trajectories
- Ability to parse and fly ADS-B trajectories
- Possible interface with other databases, such as IAGOS
G. Engineering Science capabilities
- Configuration and component aerodynamics: subsonic aerodynamics & stability derivatives
- Variety of configurations: freighters, business, amphibious...
- Advanced propeller performance and design
- Aero-engine performance and engine flight envelopes
- Aero-engine aging & deterioration effects
- Helicopter aero-mechanics, including tilt-rotors
- Thermo-structural performance:
- Tyre heating & dynamics (ground ops, aborted take-off)
- Fuel temperature in flight
- Engine jet blasts
The mindmap below shows how to we address problems such as environmental emissions.
Examples of features are demonstrated in a brief technical note.